Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Dolly Daybed for Blythe

DSC 0157

The Blythe dolls were bugging me to create a home just for them and we decided to start with a daybed. It's a very practical item to have in a doll's room. All you need to create this daybed is strong cardboard, about a half yard of fabric, a glue gun, and basic tools like scissors or a rotary cutter, as well as trims and thread to decorate the bed.

DSC 0172


I asked Lacey to lay down on a piece of cardboard so I could measure her and decided to cut my first piece 8" by 14". This allows the seat to be 4&3/4" deep and the back to be 3&1/4" high. I marked a line at this spot:

DSC 0173


And then folded the cardboard along the line, using a metal ruler to help create a nice, straight line.

DSC 0175


I also cut two pieces of cardboard measuring 6" by 4&3/4" to form the sides and then lay them all down on a piece of fun fabric.

DSC 0176


Now it's time to get out the glue gun! Cut a piece of fabric that is about an inch and a half lager than the main bed piece and cut two pieces that are long enough to wrap the sides. We want to glue the fabric to the front, of the bed or the side that will show. First I run a line of glue along the fold between the seat and back so the fabric will stick there. Then I glue the fabric to the whole piece of cardboard and wrap it around the back like a present, gluing down the flaps.



DSC 0177


DSC 0178

DSC 0180

I wrap the sides with fabric and glue it, too. I wrap the fabric all the way around so the inside and outside are covered.


DSC 0181

Now it's time to attach the sides to the bed. This isn't hard, just make sure to keep everything at right angles. I put the glue along the edge of the bed and then press it together, one side at a time.

DSC 0183

I like to add a bit more support to the bottom so a cut another piece of cardboard to fit across and glued it into place. This is optional.


DSC 0185

DSC 0186

The girls are happy so far:


DSC 0187

But,we need to do some decorating and make a matress and pillows so the bed is more like this:

DSC 0160


That's it for the bed making! Does everyone know how to make a cushion and pillows? We can blog about that later. Feel free to let us know if there are other things you would like to make and HAPPY DOLLY DIY-ing!







6 comments:

  1. Wonderful Mel :-) Lovely to see how you made this...I can imagine my littlies will be wanting me to make them one next if they catch sight of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great daybed! Too cute! Don't forget to add some sort of Follow button so we can keep up with your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! I DO need a follow button and a few other things! Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these instructions. I am working on this day bed right now and plan to blog about it. I will link to your blog and instructions

    ReplyDelete